Duties and Responsibilities
Board Member Responsibilities:
- Attend a minimum of three of the four regular board meetings each year, and review board materials prior to each meeting. Generally, three board meetings are in San Francisco/Washington DC and one in East Africa. Board members are strongly encouraged, but not required to attend meetings in person – a conference bridge will be available.
- Knowing the organization's mission, programs, policies, and needs.
- Preparing for meetings by reviewing the agenda and supporting documentation.
- Keeping up with issues and trends that affect the organization.
- Engage with the senior team outside board meetings in the member’s area of expertise.
- Participating in the evaluation of business operations and executives.
- Serve as active advocates and ambassadors for the organization and fully engage in identifying and securing the financial resources and partnerships necessary for the organization to advance its mission.
- Leverage connections, networks, and resources to develop collective action to fully achieve the organization’s mission.
- Assist in the recruitment of new Board members and Advisors.
- Help identify personal connections that can benefit the organization’s fundraising and reputational standing, and can influence public policy.
- Participate fully in one or more committees.
- Approving audit reports, budgets, and business decisions.
- Contributing to the development of policies and strategic plans.
- Understanding the organization's financial affairs and ensuring fiduciary responsibilities are met.
- Ensuring the organization complies with legal requirements.
- Maintaining confidentiality on all internal organizational affairs.
Finance and Audit Committee Member Specific Responsibilities:
- Assist the Board with oversight of the integrity of the financial statements.
- Ensure oversight over the qualifications and independence and performance of the independent auditors and internal auditors.
- Review the organisational risk register.
- Provide oversight over how management assesses and manages risk.
- Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Oversight over the preparation of the annual operational budget and presentation to the Board for approval.
- Ensure that financial and management reports and indicators are prepared and presented to the Board.
- Monitor income and expenses.
- Compare current financial conditions to financial projections.
- Oversee the management of cash, investments and reserves to ensure they are not depleted below certain levels.
- Ensure adequate steps are taken to acquire and maintain diversified financial resources.
Qualifications & Experience
Board Member Requirements:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- Previous board experience preferred.
- Knowledge of the organization and the relevant industry.
- Sufficient time availability for board duties.
- Strong diplomatic and interpersonal skills
Terms of Appointment
Board Members will serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held quarterly, and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
How to Apply & Key Steps in the Process
If you wish to be considered for this position, please complete the Application Form below on or before 5 January 2023. In addition, we encourage you to please attach a copy of the most recent English version of your CV.
All information will be treated in the strictest confidence.
If you have an initial query rather than an application, kindly email us at LivingGoods_BM@sri-executive.com.
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by Living Goods to undertake this assignment.