The Corporate Procurement Unit is responsible for the procurement of goods, works and services (including consulting services) to support the WBG’s 130+ offices around the world. Corporate Procurement manages an annual spend around USD 2B with around 25,000 vendors. The team has staff located in Washington, DC, Chennai, India and Sofia, Bulgaria. Corporate Procurement utilizes category management to achieve better outcomes, improved quality, greater savings, efficient use of resources, a better understanding of the market, and an increased focus on collaboration and innovation. Corporate Procurement focuses on three key principles: Commerciality, Risk Management, and Sustainability. Categories of spend include: i) Financial Services; ii) Human Resources and Professional Services; iii) Corporate Services and Real Estate; and iv) Information Technology. To learn more about Corporate Procurement, visit: CP website.
The Procurement Specialist (Category Manager) position is located at the Corporate Procurement Corporate Services and Real Estate (CSRE) team in Washington, DC. This position reports to the Senior Procurement Specialist (Head of Category), who in turn reports to the Chief of Corporate Procurement.
Responsibilities include being a valued business partner to clients, understanding business needs, developing annual procurement plans, conducting internal (e.g., data-driven; category spend, client strategies, stakeholder analysis, and SWOT), and external analysis (e.g., market research & forecast, market share & trends, benchmarks, cost drivers), advising clients on market trends, and influencing change with the intent to maximize value for money while managing risks and maximizing impact on sustainability.
The position for the category team requires in-depth knowledge of the CSRE category sourcing and managing contract relationships / performance for managed services such integrated facilities management services, childcare services, mail and shipping services, printing and publication services, and associated services in operation of a corporate office and skills to lead sourcing initiatives from business needs to contract closeout including conducting negotiations, and dispute resolution; collaborate with business partners; and advise colleagues in WBG office worldwide on policy related matters.
The category includes, but is not limited to, services such as health services, construction, facility management, corporate security, corporate travel, ground transportation and sourcing vehicles, audio visual, food conference meeting and events, language services, mail and shipping etc.
Key Accountability for this Position includes
- Conducts procurement, sourcing, and category management activities required by the World Bank Group globally.
- Understands client’s needs, generates solicitations, and manages bidding process for assigned areas; collaborates with clients in developing procurement plans; carries out market research to identify sources of supply; reviews technical specifications for completeness and competitive qualities; develops vendor pre-qualifying and evaluation criteria; prepares contracts; and engages vendors in process discussions.
- Negotiates contract terms and conditions for the assigned categories.
- Category management of designated categories.
- Monitors vendor commercial performance.
- Conducts research, trend analysis and benchmarking in international markets including category management.
- Leads/guides remotely located teams in performing medium to complex procurements.
- Liaises with clients in preparation and delivery of presentations to Procurement Committees.
- Undertakes activities to ensure compliance with World Bank Groups’ policy.
- Provides guidance and direction to Project Managers on commercial contract management issues.
- Designs innovative solutions for medium to complex solicitations for large dollar and through a service risk-based approach.
- Possesses an expert level understanding of commerciality and ability to demonstrate achieving value for money through strategic planning, solicitation, and negotiations.
- Maximizes positive impact on sustainability (diversity, environment, social responsibility) through the sourcing process and category management.
- Possesses a good understanding of risk management, analyses risks, and works with business partners to mitigate risks through sourcing and managing risks during category management.
Due to the requirements of the job, this position may require frequent adjustments to the work schedule created by the time zone difference with many of the clients it supports and may also involve a limited amount of travel.
The work includes frequent interactions with the following:
- WBG staff at all levels, typically Business Unit Managers, Country Directors and Managers, Chief Administrative Officers, Legal Counsels, Resource Managers, Administrative Procurement Review Committee Members, and Project Task Leaders etc.
- Supplier representatives typically heads of companies and VPs, account managers, sales representatives, and commodity specialists, and technical representatives etc.
Education, Qualifications & Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience. Nationally/ Internationally recognized Professional Certification (CPSM, CIPS, or equivalent coupled with courses/ certificates in procurement would be highly desirable)
- Minimum seven years of relevant experience in CSRE category sourcing and managing contract relationships / performance for managed services such integrated facilities management services, childcare services, mail and shipping services, printing and publication services, and associated services in operation of a corporate office.
- Practical experience in international procurement with full knowledge of procurement techniques and practices used in the public and private sector and experience in contract drafting and administration.
- Knowledge and experience in conducting procurements for various categories and in category management.
- Experience in executing solicitations and contracts in a services organization.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with complex procurement situations.
- Effective negotiating and presentation skills.
- Proven analytical skills, including the ability to analyze corporate financial statements/reports and develop well-balanced recommendations on procurement awards and related issues
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and analytical capability of applying logic to solving problems and ability to structure data and assign resources effectively, monitor implementation and deliver results in line with project goals.
- Ability to translate theory into practical applications in context of Bank Group work.
- Ability to proactively manage the work program and portfolio, contribute to team responsibilities and manage client expectations.
- Proven Project Management skills with extensive experience in managing all aspects of multiple related projects to ensure the overall program is aligned and directly supports the achievement of strategic objectives.
- Excellent leadership, strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to give knowledge-based guidance to more junior staff and to participate in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to deal sensitively in multicultural environments and build effective working relationships with clients, colleagues, and other stakeholders.
- Experience in use of business-related software (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, ERP); experience using procurement software systems such as SAP, R3, Materials Management is desirable.
- Demonstrates in depth knowledge and understanding of the project management concepts, as they relate to the implementation of complex, multi-functional projects in varied geographical and economic conditions.
- Experience at regional level (multiple offices) the handling of CSRE category sourcing and managing contract relationships / performance for managed services such integrated facilities management services, childcare services, mail and shipping services, printing and publication services, and associated services in operation of a corporate office
- Ability to lead complex and strategically important negotiations.
- Superior communication skills in English (verbal, written, and comprehension), and ability to resolve interpersonal conflict.
- Ability to function effectively in multi-disciplinary teams within a matrix management environment, as well as an individual contributor.
- Strong client service orientation.
- Other language skills would be an asset.
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time position with the successful candidate being contracted for a term of three years.
This role is at the GF grade within the World Bank, with a salary range of (net of taxes) $98,300-$182,700 USD with a median salary of $140,500 USD. For information on World Bank employment benefits, please see more information on their Compensation Scales and Benefits.
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current World Bank Group Staff Member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, they will retain their Regular or Open-Ended appointment. If the selected candidate is a current World Bank Group Staff Member with a Term appointment that expires later than the end date of this appointment, they will retain the duration of their current Term appointment.
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please complete the Application Form below on or before 22nd December 2022. In addition, we encourage you to please attach a copy of the most recent English version of your CV.
All information will be treated in the strictest confidence.
If you have an initial query rather than an application, kindly email us at WBG-Manager-Procurement@sri-executive.com
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by The World Bank Group to undertake this assignment.