SNV seeks a talented, entrepreneurial, result-oriented and experienced professional who will lead the West Africa country team in securing and implementing of high-quality programs in SNV’s sectors. A strong focus for the role is positioning and winning externally funded projects. We are looking for someone who brings excellent business development skills and experience in researching and identifying new business opportunities – including new donors, growth areas, trends and partnerships.
The Country Director is responsible for leading and driving the country program. It is a multi-faceted role, focused on securing adequate funding to sustain operations, upscaling and strategically strengthening the country program, whilst ensuring compliance and high- quality delivery of project results. It requires a Country Director well informed about national and international development priorities, able to steer the sectors in response to these priorities. The Country Director will forge partnerships and alliances between SNV and important national and international actors, and stimulate collaboration for impact in SNV sectors. They will also be the face of SNV in the country, representing the organisation and influencing through our work.
The Country Director will lead, coach and support a team of professionals to perform at their best to meet and exceed client, donor and SNV corporate expectations. In addition, they will be a key member of SNV’s global extended management team, making meaningful contributions to help shape the future of SNV.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Business development to grow the country program, ensure financial sustainability of SNV Nepal/Bhutan and ensure a high-quality project design;
- Representation and profiling: building partnerships and maintaining excellent relationships with donors, partners, local governments, businesses, policy makers and other relevant stakeholders;
- Oversight and quality assurance of project implementation (including project director roles) ensuring the delivery of impact to the satisfaction of key stakeholders and compliance with SNV’s and the donor’s financial standards and monitoring protocols;
- Strong and supportive leadership and management of the country team: creating and nurturing an environment that supports high performance, learning and teamwork at all levels;
- Strategic leadership of the program including multi-country efforts within the overall parameters of SNV’s global strategy;
- Collaboration with other SNV countries to effectively leverage opportunities for synergy, deliver at scale (including multi-country projects), exchange knowledge and strengthen SNV’s position;
- In addition, the Country Directors will foster innovation of SNV products and services: facilitate learning, documentation and evidence-based knowledge development in collaboration with SNV’s global team and partners; ensure collaboration with renowned knowledge institutes and networks.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline;
- At least 8 years of relevant management experience at strategic level;
- Demonstrated business development experience in winning large tenders and grants from multilateral development banks, bilateral donors, and/or private sector partners;
- Excellent track record in mobilising resources from the public and private sector, including strong networking and positioning skills at multiple levels;
- Proven ability to establish partnerships and consortia to mobilise resources;
- Excellent knowledge of the international development context and trends in SNV’s three sectors, including familiarity with key financiers and actors in SNV’s three sectors;
- Experience of implementing GESI responsive programmes
- A track record in management skills including financial management, people management, donor-funded project procedures and process;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Proven track record in project management including familiarity with donor-funded project procedures and process;
- Ability to relate with and manage relationships with government at federal and local levels;
- Ability to coach, lead, stimulate, and inspire professionals in a development context with a focus on results and entrepreneurial skills;
- Culturally aware, tactful and open-minded;
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English is required.
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time international position with the successful candidate being contracted on a two-year basis with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. A pension plan, life and medical insurances are included in the benefits package. Desired start date for this position is as soon as possible.
SNV is a global organisation committed to bringing different people, ideas and perspectives together. We invite especially women to submit their application as we want to increase the number of women in leadership positions.
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please complete the Application Form below on or before 10 February 2023. In addition, we encourage you to please attach a copy of the most recent English version of your CV.
All information will be treated in the strictest confidence.
If you have an initial query rather than an application, kindly email us at SNV-CD-WestAfrica@sri-executive.com.
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by SNV to undertake this assignment.