One of the core areas of focus for GH Labs is primary healthcare, a field that is on the cusp of major technology-led transformation. GH Labs has the ambitious mandate to lead that transformation. The Vice President, Primary Healthcare Innovations will lead GH Labs’ efforts in that area. They will be responsible for bringing to life—from concept to market—a range of new innovations; demonstrate the value of those innovations in healthcare systems across several LMICs; and lead a roadmap to how innovation-led primary care can scale, to transform the lives of many millions of individuals in underserved communities. The VP will build and manage a multi-country team of exceptional innovators and health experts, working closely with colleagues at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF).
The VP will report to GH Labs’ CEO and serve as a member of the GH Labs Leadership Team, which is accountable to set the strategic vision for the organization, ensuring operational effectiveness and allocation of resources and capabilities. They will work closely alongside Leaders in Research & Product Development and Strategy & Planning to develop and implement GH Labs’ innovation mandate.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement GH Lab’s strategic roadmap for Primary Healthcare innovation portfolio, with partnership and support from GH Labs’ Strategy & Planning team
- Build and provide technical and managerial leadership of a multi-country Primary Healthcare Innovations team
- Drive external relationships and influencing agenda in close partnership with BMGF colleagues and other partners, to identify impactful innovations, and “demonstration sites”:
- Identify the full suite of innovations (including those potentially developed at other organizations) required to improve primary healthcare in LMICs
- Identify appropriate countries where several dozen “demonstration sites” can be developed, which will collectively:
- Represent the range of LMIC healthcare settings from extremely sparse to relatively advanced
- Inform the types of innovations appropriate for each context
- Demonstrate step-change improvements in the delivery of care in each context
- Demonstrate what non-technology improvements are needed to complement technology innovations
- Inspire key decisionmakers (e.g., ministries of health) to invest in such models of innovation-led healthcare
- Develop country-specific roadmaps for sustainable scaleup of innovation-led healthcare in each country of interest
- Effectively build partnerships, working collaboratively across a complex, multi-stakeholder environment to meet shared objectives by:
- Serving as primary relationship manager with members of BMGF leadership and program teams
- Managing relationships with key government and other stakeholders in countries of interest
- Developing and managing partnerships with other organizations around the world that can support or complement GH Labs’ capabilities and efforts
- Consult with GH Labs’ Research & Product Development and Product Management teams to develop and prove high-impact innovations from GH Labs; likewise, on an as-needed basis, support other innovative organizations in a position to develop their own innovations to improve primary care in LMICs
- Leadership Responsibilities
- People Manager: The VP, PHC Innovations sets clear expectations aligned to organization objectives, manages performance, supports development, and creates an environment for success. Provides feedback and re-prioritization to enable individual potential for the highest organization impact.
- Team Leader: The VP, PHC Innovations is a thought leader and visionary for a function/team. They translate strategy to inspire team(s) to work collaboratively and effectively toward clear goals and objectives. They set clear expectations aligned to organization objectives, manages performance, supports development, and creates an environment for success. Provides feedback and re-prioritization to enable individual potential for the highest organization impact.
Education, Qualifications & Experience
- Medical doctor: or advanced degree in public health or business administration with significant experience in primary care (see below)
- 15+ years of progressive, relevant experience in Global Health
- Significant experience in LMICs, in the form of lived or professional experience, including first-hand experience successfully developing innovation-led primary care systems in LMICs
- Track record of successfully leading multi-country teams in complex, implementation-heavy initiatives
- Demonstrated success with implementation / action plans and objectives where analysis of situations or data requires in-depth knowledge of organization, competitive environment, technology and economic or social implications of organization activities.
- Proven experience in engaging senior stakeholders, especially in LMIC governments
- Proven success attracting and engaging top talent in multiple countries
- Track record of successfully managing complex, ideally multi-country partnerships
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in positions requiring communication with a broad audience representing diverse cultures
- Willingness and ability to conduct significant business travel between Seattle, and various LMIC settings (e.g., India and parts of Africa)
- Passion for—and long-term track record of working in—social impact
GH Labs Success Factors
We believe there are a few prioritized key capabilities and behaviors that are critical to success for all roles at GH Labs.
- Demonstrates Collaboration: actively listens and works with others openly and transparently to create an environment where diverse viewpoints are valued, and information is shared for the purposes of solving problems and achieving collective goals. Seeks collaborative solutions as the best path to sustainable change.
- Accelerates Impact: takes risks, proves/disproves concepts quickly and with a growth mindset, solves creatively, and partners strategically to achieve results and deliver impact on GH Labs mission.
- Promotes Accountability: holds self and others accountable so that success is celebrated, and failure is understood and addressed.
- Establishes Trust: interacts, shares, and receives information and feedback in a way that builds trust and gains the confidence of others.
Role-specific Success Factors
Builds Partnerships: works collaboratively in a complex, multi-stakeholder environment, to meet shared objectives.
Decision Quality: has experience using data to drive decision-making, project planning, progress measurement, and the achievement of results.
Cultivates Innovation: creates new and better ways for the organization to be successful.
Global Perspective: takes a broad view when approaching issues, using a global lens and accounting for cultural sensitivities.
Nimble Learner: actively learns through experimentation when tackling new challenges, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
Role Location: Seattle (Hybrid)
Eligibility: Upon hire, new employees must present proof of 1) eligibility to legally work in the U.S.; and 2) COVID-19 vaccination status. Currently, GH Labs requires a primary COVID-19 vaccination series and booster for all employees, unless there is an approved medical or religious accommodation.
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please complete the Application Form below. In addition, we encourage you to please attach a copy of the most recent English version of your CV.
All information will be treated in the strictest confidence.
If you have initial query rather than an application, kindly email us at GHLabs-VPPHC@sri-executive.com.
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by GH Labs to undertake this assignment.